Tuesday 4 January 2011

Bad Hair Day. Everyday.

I totally get Harry Potter's frustration about his unruly hair. The fact that his mop of unruly hair gets mentioned at least once in all the books is a great credit to the hair itself! Harry, I sympathize with you, I know how it feels to have hair with a head of it's own. No matter how much you comb it, wash it, condition it, and as the fancy shampoo advertisements go, "take care of it", it still does what it wants.

I have been blessed, as some say or cursed, as I say with thick, wavy and most importantly unmanageable South Indian hair. As far as hair stories go, my hair has a pretty long tale. As Ammamma fondly remembers I was born with a crop of hair, so my hair troubles began on 21st September, 1990 itself. For as long as I could remember I had short cropped hair. Yet, everyday before I left for school my mum used to literally sit me down and struggle for 10 minutes to get my hair to 'not stand up'. By the time I got down in school my hair was just as it was before my mum combed it. Then thanks to my mum's and Sharon Aunty's combined efforts I had shoulder length hair by the time I was in class 4. So I let it grow, and took great care of it, it slowly started listening to me. At some point in class 6 I had even got one of those Pushkar type hair extensions in HOT PINK, don't even ask! 

However then class 6 summer holidays happened, and I suddenly decided to get all serious about my place in the swim team, yeah yeah, hard to believe now, but I was pretty good then. Hajira Mam happened and all of a sudden I decided to crop my hair! Yep! My mum was aghast, my music teacher, well let's not even go there. She almost fainted when she saw me! But then I found it really nice and very convenient. Even then, my hair used to never ever listen to me. NEVER EVER.

So my short cropped hair continued for quite a long time, sometime in class 10 I decided to grow it back, much to my mom's and grandmom's great relief! By the time my tenth boards finished and I came back from our awesome trip to visit daddy in Shillong, my hair was as long as it was in 6th. Then my real problems started. My hair as I sadly realised has some kind of energy with which it made up its mind to not do what I want it to! For as long  as I could humanly remember I wore a tight braid to Junior College, sigh! 

When I realised I made it to NLU, another fear overtook me. HOW THE HELL WILL I MANAGE MY HAIR? To my relief I managed it pretty well the first semester. Back then my hair was this long unruly mess, full of tangles! The desert winds have made it even more indisciplined. So, as year 2011 dawned upon me I made a decision. I decided I'd get get my hair cut off it reaches only shoulder. Yes, Sharon aunty was shocked once again, when I walked upto her, determinedly and said, "Please Aunty 5 inches!". She smiled sheepishly and said "Ok, sit". And an hour later, I realised to my HORROR, that my hair might not reach into a ponytail, but then it did! So, I begin this year with  shoulder length, OK, a Lil more than shoulder length,Sharon aunty left it there for good measure. 

So here's to probably having less bad hair days this year. Then again I realized how much I miss my long and unruly mop!


No comments: