Monday 21 March 2011

What all do WE care about?

 This morning I was tweeting very harmlessly (except for the Death threat I sent to the Pro-Telangana person), and my page kept getting updates about one Rebecca Black from the Harry Potter page on twitter, yeah and so, what is the first TWEET I see?





"I'll say it again. I don't hate Rebecca Black and I don't want her dead. Why would I? Yes she sings like a dying Hippogriff but really, now."


Since I am generally I step or two behind most tweeps I know, I type Rebecca Black in the little blue search box in Twitter (Oh! how I love twitter) and lo and behold! I see a million other tweets echoing the same emotion! Well after reading about 10 to 20 tweets I found out the follwing:


1.She is an 8th grader.


2.American ( what else? can she be? ). From California (again?)


3.She can sing say some.


4.She thinks she can sing say some more.


5.There are some who say she can't.


6. She released a song on YOUTUBE (yes yes like that lil blond guy we all know)


7.She called the song FRIDAY.


8.Also she wants to record a single with her 'idol' yes yes none other than Pretty Boy Biebs! ( I can't believe I just said that! )


9. The song is about how a teenager cannot decided whether to sit on the front seat or the back seat of a car. Wow! So cool na? I 'll also write a song about how I cannot decide what to eat? Paneer Makhani or Kadai Paneer! 


10. She is apparently out trended the Japanese Earthquake over the weekend!


The last point actually got me thinking! Wow do more people really care about a teenage girl blaring than about lives lost and property destroyed in Japan? That got me thinking What do we really care about?


On an average day in the world these days there's a political coup, or the aftermath, there's a natural disaster of some magnitude, there's a financial breakthrough, and oh there's also a sporting event and yeah like last week a 'Teenage Sensation" on the internet!  


I decided to poke around a bit and I found out that Rebecca did out trend the earthquake,Gaddafi, the Cricket WC and other more important things. Another shocker this happened not only on Google Trends but also on Twitter, Facebook and other social networks! Really? did the earthquake become boring now, in a little over a week? Are our attention spans that short, and are we that shallow? 


This is just another example of the myriad of things that we willfully choose to ignore in our busy lives! Tho kya? Japan mein earthquake tha, log mare the, India mein bhi tha tsunami, earthquake? I'd rather spend hours reading about this new chick who has biebered her way into my weekend! Let me laugh at her, let me call her the "BLACK PLAGUE", or the latest, let me make a parody out of her song! Yes, I am not lying there was a parody already on YOUTUBE!


Do TV channels and internet sites really dictate what we care about and what we don't? Do we really need them to decide for us what and when to like a thing? They tell us what to like, what to buy, what story is hot, they decided when a story loses importance, they tell us what is the new story! Maybe it is right, maybe its better that way, 'cause if you let everyone decide what they want to care about, yes, we will get more people fulfilling their 'teenage dream's! and that my friends will not be pretty! 


So then that got me thinking what is the one thing near home that I have actually cared about? What? Oh yea! I absolutely hate the fact that my city, my beloved Hyderabad is being destroyed! For what? So that a man's thirst for political power can be quenched? the statues destroyed may not be as famous as the Buddha statues, but to me, they symbolise a childhood spent running around in the green grass around them, of many Sunday evening spent near "Pedda Laala"! It was just sad to see hundreds of people walking on Tankbund, all this for what? For NOTHING! I wish they'd just leave my city alone! Yes, I care about it! 


Maybe Rebecca will record a new single with her idol (good for her!), I would love to record a single with Avril! It's ok if the Earthquake takes second place in google trends as long as efforts are being made to help the sufferers. All that really does not matter as long as people care about all that that has to be cared about! Peace.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Awesome.

Anonymous said...

I just imagined i’d post and let you know your personal blogs is valuable for uncovered the valuable mysterious.I certainly enjoy your blog.Perfectly, the content is in truth the most effective on this really worth even though subject. I concur with your data and will desperately search forward for your arriving fresh news. Only just saying thanks is not going to just be enough, for the outstanding lucidity within your writing. I will immediately capture your rss feed to remain informed of any updates.Honest give good results and a great deal achievements as part of your deliver the results and company passion.Anyway always keep up the fantastic efforts.Many thanks.

Anonymous said...

I dont know what to say. This blog is fantastic. Thats not really a really huge statement, but its all I could come up with after reading this. You know so much about this subject. So much so that you made me want to learn more about it. Your blog is my stepping stone, my friend. Thanks for the heads up on this subject.

Anonymous said...

Im not going to say what everyone else has already said, but I do want to comment on your knowledge of the topic. Youre truly well-informed. I cant believe how much of this I just wasnt aware of. Thank you for bringing more information to this topic for me. Im truly grateful and really impressed.

Anonymous said...

After reading this I thought it was very informative. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this post together. Once again I find myself spending way to much time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it.

Anonymous said...

You certainly understand what youre referring to. Man, this website is simply excellent! I cant wait to browse more of what youve got to share. Im actually delighted that I discovered this when I did since I had been truly starting to become tired with the total writing world. Youve turned me around, dude!

Anonymous said...

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

Anonymous said...

I once received a comment which was somewhat like the ones stated above. I have considered it a legitimate one. Now that I have read your post, I'm wiser.lol. There are also those who have many links attached to their comments. Thanks for this very informative post. All the best.

Anonymous said...

I have a good spam filter on my blog that catches most spam. One comment that has been making the rounds is from a person named Matt who is actually affiliated with a weight-loss program.

I agree, though. Bloggers must be diligent in looking at all of their comments carefully.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for informing.I did receive such a comment,which I deleted just now :)

Anonymous said...

Here are ten facts
1. You are reading my comment
2. Now you are saying/thinking that's a stupid fact.
4. You didn't notice that i skipped 3.
5. You are checking it now.
6. You are smiling.
7. You are still reading my comment.
8. You know all you have read is true.
10. You didn't notice that i skipped 9.
11. You are checking it now.
12. You didn't notice there are only 10 facts.

Anonymous said...

I love penguins!

Anonymous said...

Stupid Question:-
Oh, so you smoke.
Answer:-
Gosh, it’s a miracle …….it was a piece of chalk and now it’s in flames!!!