Sunday 18 March 2007

Hmmm................

Sometimes when you watch a movie it touches you soo much that you can't stop bragging about it! And one specific character influences you so much that you remember that actor as that character.You start referring to that actor by that name.
For most people Tom Cruise is synonymous with agent Ethan Hunt in the Mission Impossible movies.For me Tom is always Jerry Maguire, or Charlie Babbit.
Well, the other day I say a movie , which I can say has been the one which has touched me the most in recent times. Yes Varshita..., don't groan I am talking about "Blood Diamond".You got it right, the Character is Danny Archer!
Set against the backdrop of civil war and chaos in 1990’s Sierra Leone, Blood Diamond is the story of Danny Archer (Leonardo DiCaprio) – a South African mercenary – and Solomon Vandy (Djimon Hounsou) – a Mende fisherman. Both men are African, but their histories as different as any can be, until their fates become joined in a common quest to recover a rare pink diamond that can transform their lives. While in prison for smuggling, Archer learns that Solomon – who was taken from his family and forced to work in the diamond fields – has found and hidden the extraordinary rough stone. With the help of Maddy Bowen (Jennifer Connelly), an American journalist whose idealism is tempered by a deepening connection with Archer, the two men embark on a trek through rebel territory, a journey that could save Solomon’s family and give Archer the second chance he thought he would never have.
Well, I can faithfully say that DiCaprio is the only actor who has moved me to tears with his action.Yes, He made me cry like a baby in both Blood diamond and Titanic.He is such a versatile actor, and I personally feel that he was the best for Archer's role. And that accent man.......wow!!
So, after BD I have watched 'The Departed ' . And subconciously I could feel my brain searchin for traces of the South African accent in Bill Costigan's typical Boston speech. Well , my mom'z still wondering why it got the Oscar for best Movie.
And I am still wondering why Leo didn't get the Best Actor, or why Blood Diamond didn't get Nominated for Best Movie.
It's got a got message. that message is best summed up in the this dialogue of Maddy's:
'People back home wouldn't buy a ring if they knew it cost someone else their hand'.
It presents the crisis in Africa in a way that every one can relate too.The rebels, the AIDs, the worst of all child soldiers.
Now, there isnt a day at home or at wherever I go that I don't brag about this movie. Go on watch it , you will want to make a difference.
Maybe what my mom told my dad when I was young is true. Maybe I will marry a mercenary! Danny Archer rulz!!

No comments: