Sunday 23 October 2011

Blessings are Counted!

"Count your Blessings" she said calmy. I stared at her blankly and almost cheekily said, "Really?".

A month or so later, when I went to the Missionaries of Charity in Jodhpur, I realised how right Ammamma was. So one very sunny afternoon, Gargi, me and Saumya went to this Home for Mentally Challenged Girls on the outskirts of Jodhpur as a part of our India Redefined program. We collected almost an auto full of clothes, and other necessities from our college to give the children there.

The Sister who we met was kind and humble, and showed us the entire place. She knew each child personally, she knew their problems, their history, their eating habits, and also their tantrums. The children were very happy to see us, shouting and screaming with joy, shaking our hands, and this one girl even hugged Gargi. Each of the girls there had her own story, her own sorrows, and her own world. Most of all they seemed happy to be there. The trip finished off with us taking pictures with the girls, and yes, even our photo hating Gargi smiled nicely.

While we were on our way back in the auto I could not help but think of Ammamma's words. I felt privileged and loved, and the whole excercise made me realize how lucky I was. Thanks Sukku, and Thank You India Redefined.

No comments: