Sunday 14 September 2014

Adulthood

I know I haven't written for a while. Quite some time actually. I can say I was so busy at work that I could hardly breathe, but then, I'd be lying. Inspiration was scarce. 15 hour working days don't really bring out the hidden writer in you, nor do the many legal documents you've drafted. Excuses.Excuses. 
It is the time of the year for my end of the year, I am getting a year older post, but then again, i found no reason to go ahead and write that. Until, today morning. 
I was at work, and then an article in internet catches my eye. It says that Brett Lee is going to act in a Hindi movie. That was the point when I realised that well my childhood has officially ended. No, it was not when the end credits of Deathly Hallows rolled, or when I graduated or on the first day of my first job. It was today. Six months into my second job, a week before my 24th birthday, I realised the world I lived in as a child has turned topsy turvy.
Brett Lee, a person who I worshipped for his sheer grit and determination for a long time has suddenly decided to act in some Hindi movie! To say that I was dissapointed was an understatement, but maybe I am over reacting.
 To me the article represented a colossal change in the way I see things in this world. This heart break was different from the time when it was announced that he was marrying Liz Kemp, or maybe my brain cannot process the images of him running around trees and singing. My naive school girl view of Binga running into bowl at 150 kmph has suddenly been replaced with one where he is romancing an Indian girl in a movie. Well, that's when I realised all is not what is seems in this big wide world, and, that was my official welcome into adulthood. Maybe its accepting that its okay if my favorite cricketer decides to try and become Shahrukh Khan, maybe its thinking its okay he still has Mewsic which is a fabulous organization, maybe its realising that people should do what makes them happy, but somewhere along the way I realised I sort of maybe became an adult. 

Now the most important question is, will I watch the movie? Damn right I will! Just because I think I am an adult does not mean that I am ready to let go of one of the most important parts of my childhood. All the best, Binga!  You go rock Bollywood and I'll try to figure out this 'being an adult thing'. 

No comments: