Tuesday 24 July 2018

Rape and other associated realities

I was scrolling through my Facebook Feed after a heavy lunch when I came across a post that ruined my entire day, or rather whatever was left of it. Nestled very quietly between a Curly Tales post about a sports bar in Dubai that serves Chicken Nuggets and Fries coated with edible Gold dust, and a Bookmyshow advertisement about Cirque Du Soleil was the following post by Manupatra.

Excuse me? Does this have to be spelled out to the Indian Public in the form of a Judgement in a case? Apparently so, given the day and age we are living in. Maybe soon we will have judgments (if we don't already) laying down specifically that a woman's clothing, her hair, her makeup, her food habits, her living arrangements, or whatever else does not give a man the Right to Rape her. It seems to be the need of the day, doesn't it?

It makes me angry. Actually, just makes me sad that it has come down to this. It's just sad that in our society its a norm that girls are asked to come home early, asked to not wear 'revealing' clothes, asked to be careful, and for all of us, this is internalised behaviour. We have been taught this by our mothers and grandmothers, and maybe will also teach the same to our daughters. In the few months, news reporting Rapes have become as common as news about Cricket, Cinema and Lynching. 

I wonder what it will take people in this country to realise that NOTHING gives anyone the RIGHT to Rape anyone. Nope, their body it not yours for the taking, nor are are you entitled to touch someone without their explicit consent. Teach your boys to respect women they said. Maybe we need more people teaching their children about trying to take whats not theirs. 

I was upset for a while. Then I scrolled down, and saw a post about Kenneth Sebastian and Abish Matthew performing in Hyderabad this Saturday, followed by a post about Puppies. My eyes wandered back to the list of deadlines pinned to my cubicle wall, and the list of things to do, and I went back to my work, thinking of ways to start writing this post, and maybe how to end it. I wish there was a way to end this post in a very witty and sarcastic way, but the ending here is grim, just like the present situation around us. Maybe like I suggested in my Death Penalty project in Law School all those years ago when I was a naive 18 year old, maybe Castration is the way to go. Just laying it out there. Maybe.








No comments: