Friday 11 July 2014

Aditi's KKHH rant

I remember back in 2000, when I was a little girl, and dreamed of knights on white chargers (wasn't I a lame kid?. tsk!), I adored Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Kajol wasn't my favourite, but she was dark and fat, much like myself, and I thought, "Hey! she got the guy of herdreams. There is hope for me!" (like I said. LAME.) So, anyway, I watched it every time they showed it on TV, and it is a proof of how dumb (or damaged?) I used to be, that I did not notice how twisted the movie was, until I was well into in my teens.

First of all, it was sort of obvious that Shahrukh Khan's character would get both girls, because:

a) it was shahrukh khan's character...um..duh.
b) there were two heroines in the movie,
c) the movie was directed by his BFF.

Also --- and I am saying this at considerable risk of inviting the wrath of SRK's unjustifiably huge fandom--- Rahul was kind of a douche. 

Friends don't let friends fall off the grid. EVER. And I say this out of personal experience. In fact, best friends threaten you with dire consequences at the merest hint of dropping off the radar. And then there was our hero, who let his "best friend" do exactly that, and couldn't be less bothered for EIGHT years! Until of course, his pretty wife dies. 

And even then, it takes Anjali a complete overhaul of her personality to attract her "best friend's" attention. The tomboy and ace basketball player, has to start wearing make up and saris AND start losing to the hero in the very game she kicked his ass at, to earn his "love". Feminism FTW, am I right!

And speaking of Anjali, what is the matter with that girl! I get the whole 'falling in love with your best friend' situation. I do, really. But hello! There is a perfectly sweet and dashing guy, head over heels in love her! Who, by the way does not snub her, does not expect her to change for him, and as we see at the end of the movie, was truly the one who loves her unconditionally without any agenda. All this, despite the cold response he normally gets from her. And lets not ignore the fact that she realises that she is in love with Rahul way before her wedding. The honourable thing to do here would be to call off the wedding and save Aman the horror of being dumped on his wedding day. But NO. Sigh.  

Honestly, the only time I feel heartbroken in the entire movie is when Aman is left at the altar.

I am going to take a moment here to grieve. Sorry. But I must. You may judge me if you wish.   

All in all, this movie is not about how true love triumphs against all odds. This movie is essentially about a superficial moron, who gets to have his cake and eat it too, thereby, disrupting the balance of the universe. Well...that's ok, I guess. The universe strikes back in Kal ho na ho. (<Evil laughter denoting satisfaction>) 

PS: Thanks Sneha for letting me rant. I feel better now. Also, I mean no disrespect to Shahrukh Khan fans. I belonged to your ilk too, once upon a time. I get it. 

No comments: